Scholarship – This program includes National scholarship for students. The Voice of
Democracy is a speech writing competition, which has been around since 1947. It is opened to
High School students, who write and record an essay on an announced topic. The Patriot’s Pen
competition is opened to middle school students, who submit a written essay. The Patriotic Art
competition is opened to high school students who express their patriotism through art. The
Auxiliary also offers a scholarship to members for their continuing education
Assistance to VFW programs- There are some VFW programs where the Auxiliary does much
to promote and assist the Post. These include:
• Voice of Democracy (VOD) - a speech writing competition, where 9th through 12th grade
students write and record their speech. Winners at the National level receive thousands of
• Patriot's Pen - where 6th through 8th grade students submit a 300 to 400 word essay.
Again, National winners receive special recognition and thousands of dollars.
AWARDS FOR AUXILIARIES
1. Most outstanding promotion of the Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest.
• Citation to every Auxiliary that promotes the Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest. Criteria and
entry form (required) available at vfwauxiliary.org/resources. Auxiliaries must send the entry form to their
Department Scholarships Chairman by March 31, 2021.
The Department Scholarships Chairman must send a copy of all submitted entry forms to National
Headquarters by April 30, 2021.
Citations will be mailed directly to participating Auxiliaries from National Headquarters.
• Citation and $25 to one Auxiliary in each of the four Conferences with the most outstanding promotion of the
Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest.
The Department Scholarships Chairman must sign and send a copy of the completed Department-winning entry form
to the National Scholarships Ambassador by April 30, 2021 for judging.
AWARDS FOR DEPARTMENTS AND DEPARTMENT CHAIRMEN
1. Citation to each Department Scholarships Chairman for participation in this Program.
2. $25 VFW Store Gift Certificate to one Department Scholarships Chairman in each of the 10 Program Divisions for
the best promotion of the Scholarships Program.
3. Outstanding Performance Award in each of the 10 Program Divisions based on criteria listed on Page 5 and for
the promotion of Program Goals on Page 53.